Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [Urgent] GNUstep at Google Summer of Code'2009
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:32:28 +0100

Am 12.03.2009 um 16:47 schrieb Xavier Glattard:

Adam Fedor a écrit :

Also, please try to make sure any ideas are something that could easily get done by a student in a summer (so, perhaps, it is something you could do in a month of work).

Then I have to forget half of my ideas : in most case I'm not sure of anything. Some ports might look easy (small apps), but will involve a lot of CF conversion. I agree : some of my suggested projects might be huge for one student. But for 2 ? And I could keep on the work when the summer will gone for some of these projects in which I'm interested.

I'm sure nobody could port OpenOffice in a summer. But this project might lead to some CoreFoundation compatible functions :)

I fear it isn't very encouraging to start a project if you already know it isn't doable in the given time frame. If you plan for 4 weeks, however, you still often have to rush to get done in 2 months. There are quirks, there are unexpected bugs, there are unforseen delays and average students are usually no GNUstep experts. Better a small thing done well and debugged than yet another half baked, dust assembling pile of code.

You are working on CoreData? How about a student coworker doing a CoreData <-> PostgeSQL backend?

my $0.02
MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/