Re: NSSound

From: Xavier Glattard
Subject: Re: NSSound
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 17:45:12 +0200

Stefan Bidigaray a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Xavier Glattard <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

24-bits audio becomes very common.

What i mean is that most (all?) sound cards are now 24-bits / 96kHz. Even the old Audigy can do that.

(...)
    A GSSoundKit might be the right place for it.
    http://www.cilinder.be/docs/next/NeXTStep/3.3/nd/
    http://www.musickit.org/
I would really like to go into something like this, I'm actually trying my best to write NSSound in a way that this can be more easily accomplished.

I agree ;)
That why I think you should Keep It Simple.

    On debian lenny i386 libsndfile.so is less than 360Kio while
    libgnustep-gui.so is near 4Mio.
    If you think it is realy important, what about a reduced libsndfile
    ? One may probably build sndfile with a reduced set of codecs (the
    LGPL ones).

I mean here that a reduced libsndfile might be included in your code, that will be updated along with the official libsndfile. You would not have to write a fallback NSSound. At least on an audio-capable system.
But it might be easier to write your own code - 'dunno.

Did you check portaudio ? (just fall on it) It is damn' small! (44Kio)

Regards,
- Xavier