Re: NSSound

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: NSSound
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:53:00 +0100

On 5 Jun 2009, at 16:45, Xavier Glattard wrote:

Stefan Bidigaray a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Xavier Glattard <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
   24-bits audio becomes very common.

What i mean is that most (all?) sound cards are now 24-bits / 96kHz. Even the old Audigy can do that.

I didn't reply to this earlier, but I think NSSound should be very wary of making any assumptions about the native sound format for the hardware for several reasons:

1) Expensive hardware now uses floating-point samples internally, and this is likely to become the case for cheap hardware in the future. 2) Handheld devices and telephony systems often use lower quality sound (even 8-bit or 22KHz) for speaker output. 3) A lot of sound hardware can do format conversion in the DSP, which uses less power than doing it on the CPU and doesn't take CPU time from other programs.
4) Any half-decent OS hides these details from you.