Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: [flame] NEWS file is useless
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 22:50:59 +0000

On 26 Nov 2009, at 22:15, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

Not only in a ChangeLog I can write more than in a commit and I can group files and comment on sigle pieces of them, but it is an easy file I can check.

Are you using a different svn to me? When I do a commit, it pops up $EDITOR (vim in my case, but apparently some people use the other one) and I can type as much as I want into it. I frequently put a couple of paragraphs into commit logs.

Also, one interesting point: can I correct a svn commit message?

Yes.

It happens that I write wrong information or that I find a better way to explain it. With the ChangeLog it is easy... I commit a new improved version.
What would you do with svn?

svn propedit. Commit messages are in svn properties and can be edited just like any other properties.

You can edit the commit message and it remains associated with the revision, so, for example people who use viewvc to browse the source code can jump to the commit log. If something has recently changed in NSOutlineView, for example, then I go here:

http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/gnustep/libs/gui/trunk/Source/NSOutlineView.m?rev=29065&dir_pagestart=150&view=log

I get the commit message for each change and can see the diff side by side. If the person who made the change put the message in the ChangeLog instead, then I have to search in a separate file as well for each change that touched the file. In no possible way is that easier.

Also, A ChangeLog is easy to search. When something breaks I grep in the changelog. Old habits.

Why is:

cat ChangeLog | grep

easier than:

svn log | grep

Especially as the svn log line can be filtered to find the changes on a specific file just by specifying the file on the command line.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1