Re: GNUstep + libicu on Windows

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: GNUstep + libicu on Windows
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 09:20:35 -0600

You should just be able to do "patch -p1 -i icu4c-4_6-mingw-gnustep.diff" inside the icu/ dir.

I just downloaded icu4c-4_6-src.tgz and the patch failed.  However, I also downloaded icu4c-4_6-src.zip and applied the patch successfully.  There seems to be some difference between the two and I'm not sure what it is.  A diff -ur between the extracted tgz and zip outputs a plethora of differences (probably new-line characters).

Anyway, the patch seems to only work with the .zip file.

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

On 30 Jan 2011, at 16:57, Stefan Bidi wrote:

> Over the past 2 days I've made some major progress in compiling libicu on mingw.  ICU doesn't officially support mingw, but I was able to find a patch at openttd.org and modify it for our needs.  Currently it compiles and gnustep-base is able to link against it.  Most of the testsuite tests pass, but a few crash and others fail.  This, however, is true about a lot of the tests, not just the ones that need libicu.
>
> In any case, if you're going try it out, and I recommend you do (very exciting stuff), you'll need the attached patch and configure will need these directives: "--prefix=/mingw --libdir=/mingw/bin --disable-strict".
>
> Stef
> <icu4c-4_6-mingw-gnustep.diff>

Do you have instructions on how to apply that patch and build please?

When I tried downloading icu4c-4_6-src.tgz, unpacking it, and applying the patch, the patch failed (perhaps I got the command wrong).
Also, it's not clear how you configured/built/installed ... if you could provide a step by step guide that would help a lot.