Re: GNUstep + libicu on Windows

From: Owen Shepherd
Subject: Re: GNUstep + libicu on Windows
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 14:15:51 +0000

On 6 Feb 2011, at 07:01, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 6 Feb 2011, at 07:34, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

Thanks, that builds and installs nicely.
But it seems the linker doesn't find it for some reason.
When building base I'm getting 'ld.exe cannot find -licui18n' even though I can see that libicui18n.dll has been installed in /mingw/lib :-(

Hmm ... my mistake ... libicui18n.dll is of course in /mingw/bin, not /mingw/lib ... and the link command is telling the linker to look in /mingw/lib, so of course it's not finding it.
Now I guess I need to figure out why we don't have -L/mingw/bin in the command.  Possibly a problem with configure.ac in base?

Because of the way linking works on Windows, you need to link against a .a (.lib for MSVC) file containing import stubs, rather than directly against the DLL. The DLL exports symbols with different names from what the compiler will expect (Namely, the calling convention mangling is not present in the DLL exported symbols)

-- Owen Shepherd
http://www.owenshepherd.net/
address@hidden (general) / address@hidden (university)