Re: Ugly flickering in some views

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: Ugly flickering in some views
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 12:39:20 -0700

On 2012-01-25, at 12:21 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:

> Hi Eric,

>>> German's problem was before you applied r34614, how did that change affect
>>> this problem? But that patch seems to have its own problems.
>>>
>>> My main problem is when resizing a whole window, this flickers horribly,
>>> but I am not sure whether GNUstep is causing this or my driver for the
>>> graphic card. But it happens only with GNUstep windows.
>>>

>>> What are our options here?
>>>
>>> - Find a proper solution within the next few days.
>>>
>>> - Disable copy-on-scroll in all scroll views.
>>>
>>> - Revert to the old cairo surface.
>>>
>>> - Ignore the problem as it only happens for some views.
>>>
>>> None of that (apart from the first one, which isn't that realistic) sounds
>>> too attractive. Disabling copy-on-scroll will make scroll views horribly
>>> slow and affect everybody, even people not using cairo. I think I hate the
>>> option to revert the standard cairo surface the least. This should send us
>>> back to the way GNUstep was about a year ago, but we can revert this step
>>> if we find a proper fix for the open issues.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>

>> I thought a bit about this. First, sorry for putting us in this situation!
>>
>> The conclusion I came to is I should have strictly followed the code freeze.
>> Only bugfixes that have a localized effect should be allowed in during the
>> freeze… we should be shipping code that was tested over the last 8 months
>> and not doing large last-minute changes like I did.
>>
>> So my preference is to revert the two commits to gui I made since the freeze
>> (r34606 and r34614). This is, in other words, the "Disable copy-on-scroll in
>> all scroll views." option. I know scrolling will be slower than it should,
>> but on the other hand it took almost 8 months to realize I had introduced a
>> bug that was disabling it, and AFAIK no one complained to the mailing list.
>>
>> If I find solution to the scrolling flickering (or the general window resize
>> flickering) in the next few weeks after the release, we could always do a
>> bugfix release.
>
> Wouldn't it be simpler to just turn off copy on scroll in the NSScrollView?

Do you mean instead of reverting r34606, just turn off copy on scroll in
NSScrollView? I guess that should be safe.

I think r34614 should be reverted until after the release, though.

>> btw, but is it KDE4 where you are having very bad flickering when resizing?
>> Which video card do you have?
>
> It is KDE4 and I am using a AMD graphics card. Maybe I should play a bit with
> the configuration program.
>
> Fred

Ok, thanks for the info. I have a nvidia 9400m, and just did a native install
of Ubunutu on my laptop (was using VirtualBox before) - so I'll try kde4 too.

Eric