Re: Google Summer of Code

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Google Summer of Code
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:34:16 +0100

Hi,
As for specifying a default browser, this should be as easy as to write a
GNUstep wrapper, that is just a .plist file and to copy it to where
make_services will find it. There must already be a lot of these wrappers out
there, where do we collect them? Maybe we should set up some space in our
source code repository to collect them?
Actually it is a little bit more complicated. The reason only Vespucci is
supported as default browser is that the default browser is supposed to
implement the -application:openURL: method, which obviously restricts it to
being an Objective-C application. To use other browsers, somebody would need to
implement a little wrapper tool that implements that method and forwards the
URL to the real browser.

Exacly. The wrapper should be "smart". it should be able to launch the "slave browser" the first time, but at subseqient URL requests open a new window for example. I did a quick thought and it was more than a trivial wrapper around NSTask.

Riccardo