Re: "Modern" server socket programming?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: "Modern" server socket programming?
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 18:19:58 +0100

On 08.01.2013, at 18:00, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Marcus,

The easiest way of scheduling a socket in the run loop is to remember that sockets are just file descriptors and so can be wrapped in an NSFileHandle and connected to a notification.

I don't understand what you mean by "connected to a notification".

This is easy from anything that allows you to get the underlying file descriptor for the socket, and if it's already encapsulated in an object then you can either use associative references or just create an NSDictionary indexed by the file handles.

if I understand you correctly, you're describing the way how to get back from the native file handle encapsulated in a notification (userInfo) towards my original object?

What I don't understand: how exactly do you schedule an "NSFileHandle connected to a notification" in a NSRunLoop?

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Müller  .  .  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/znek/