Re: "Modern" server socket programming?

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: "Modern" server socket programming?
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 01:56:29 +0100

Hi Ivan,

I don't understand what you mean by "connected to a notification".

David is, if I understand correctly, referring to using methods such as -[NSFileHandle acceptConnectionInBackgroundAndNotify] after creating the file handle with -[NSFileHandle initWithFileDescriptor:closeOnDealloc:].

thanks for your explanation. I really had no idea what David was referring to, yet it's really obvious in hindsight. I don't know exactly why, but I had the incorrect assumption that acceptConnectionInBackgroundAndNotify (and friends) were using background threads instead of attaching the file descriptors to the runloop (which they do).

The relevant piece of code that I described does not seem broken, and the general idea seems to be sound.

Yes, that approach seems plausible and will work. (The problem in the code at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4677724/nsfilehandle-function-acceptconnectioninbackgroundandnotify-not-working-when-cal seems to be that he uses ARC but never retains the remoteFileHandle, causing the connection to be dropped as soon as remoteFileHandle is dealloced).

However, in my program's context I prefer Richard's approach, because it's modelled exactly the same as how you interact with a Bonjour service and that's what I already do there.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers,

  Marcus

--