Special builds of GNUstep [Was: Re: NSSavePanel fragile ABI - do we care

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Special builds of GNUstep [Was: Re: NSSavePanel fragile ABI - do we care?]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 22:43:33 +0200

On 08/12/2013 06:36 PM, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> BTW, GNUstep's build system is driving me crazy. I do ./configure
>> > --prefix=/usr (as ./configure --help advises) and it still installs into
>> > /usr/local.
> You should select the prefix when configuring GNUstep make. From there
> it should work.

And what do I do to build a 32-bit version on a 64-bit system with libs
installed into /usr/lib32? The configure script drops everything I pass
to it, which doesn't seem right. At least ./configure --help is then
quite confusing.

I'm trying to write a Gentoo ebuild to compile gnustep-base+gui for
64-bit and 32-bit at the same time. GNUstep has been very resistant so far.

The usual way is to add -m32 into CFLAGS, but that is dropped. An
alternative is to specify CC="clang -m32", but that is rejected:

configure: error: You are running configure with the compiler (clang
-m32) set to a different value from that used by gnustep-make (clang).
Please run configure again with your environment set to match your
gnustep-make

But it doesn't seem feasible to somehow have two separate gnustep-makes
in the system.
--
Luboš Doležel