Re: problems debugging with clang 3.2, gdb 7.6, libobjc2 SVN, and Ubuntu

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: problems debugging with clang 3.2, gdb 7.6, libobjc2 SVN, and Ubuntu 13.10
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 09:28:32 -0700

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 12:41 AM, David Chisnall
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes, the debugger needs to know how to look up the ivar offsets and currently
> gdb doesn't know how to do that.  I'll hopefully add support for our ABI to
> LLDB soon, now that the Linux / FreeBSD ports are in an approximately useable
> state.
>
> If you want to inspect ivars in the debugger currently, you should use the
> runtime's introspection functions rather than ->.

FWIW, for gdb as well as the above, the most recent round of modern
GNU runtime changes which neutered the Object class, have stopped
gdb's objective-c testsuite from compiling.   The gdb testsuite
probably needs to include its own root class now since there is
apparently no method to allocate an Object.  This would be needed to
test the above changes or could be done separately without the above
changes.