Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: GNUstep on Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 23:28:01 +0100

Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

> So in the next step we should explain the problems of that setup.
> - Why we cannot use the Apple ObjC runtime. Actually why?

In the old days, I think we could not use Apple's runtime because of the subtle
incompatibilities between the Apple and the gnu runtimes. Plus, the last time I
tried this a while back, there were problems with incompatible definitions for
things like MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_x and MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED, which would
break a lot of stuff. Given that these have changed now and that the APIs of
Apple's new runtime and David's runtime should be (more or less) the same, it
might actually be possible to use Apple's runtime now. At least it would be
worth another try.

Wolfgang