Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 10:26:42 +0000

On 30 Dec 2013, at 07:23, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

> In my experience CMake is far more of a burden because it doesn't have the
> years of documentation development that autoconf has, and (more importantly
> to me) because its a monolithic C program.  You need to get the source and
> figure out what it's doing, and that's just easier to do with the configure
> script and macros in autoconf.

This is simply not true.  The vast majority of the logic of cmake is in the
.cmake files.  The 'monolithic C program' (which is written in C++) is just the
interpreter.  Large library projects typically distribute their own .cmake
files containing specific rules for their build systems, but these compose with
other rules.  For example, LLVM ships a bunch of .cmake files, which libobjc2
uses when building the LLVM optimisation passes.  Qt, KDE, and so on all ship
custom .cmake files that simplify building apps for those platforms.  I don't
think I've ever looked at the source for CMake, though I use it for a number of
projects - I've always found what I needed to do by either reading the
documentation or searching their mailing list archives.

My main attraction to CMake, however, is not CMake itself as much as Ninja,
which dramatically improves life when doing a lot of incremental builds.  LLVM
has both CMake and autoconf+make build systems.  After changing one file, the
Ninja files that CMake generates can do an incremental build in less time than
it takes for the GNU Make build system to determine that it has no work to do
if you don't change any files.  Oh, and when it needs to reconfigure, rerunning
cmake takes about a fifth of the time that running ./configure takes, even
though it's actually doing more work (configure just sets some flags for some
hand-written Makefiles to use, cmake generates the build system).

For OS X users, there's a nice CMake GUI that lets you generate XCode project
files, which I imagine would be very attractive to users wanting to run GNUstep
code on that platform.  The generated XCode files aren't perfect, but they're a
lot easier for OS X developers to use than GNUstep Make.  Oh, and they already
support building .app and .framework bundles on OS X, so it should be possible
to reuse some of this code, which might even give us some existing OS X
applications running on GNUstep for free...

That said, I completely agree with Fred, that there's no point discussing a
change of build system without at least a proof of concept demonstration that
another one would work.  I would, however, suggest that this would be much
easier to do if we had some documentation describing things like the various
filesystem / bundle layouts.

David

-- Sent from my Cray X1