Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling GNUstep?
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 15:24:53 +0000

On 29 Dec 2013, at 12:56, David Chisnall <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm trying to cross-compile GNUstep, and since I'm sure I'm not the first
> person to try this, I wondered if anyone had written up how to do it?  I am
> trying to build from FreeBSD/amd64 for FreeBSD/MIPS64.  I have a
> cross-compiler and sysroot setup.  Building the runtime was trivial - just
> point cmake at the cross-compile toolchain file - what do I need to do for
> Make / base so that:
>
> - It knows that I don't actually want -make on the target platform.
> - I get an installed version somewhere on my local machine that I can copy to
> a different location on the remote
> - All of the correct cross-compile flags are passed to the compiler
>
> I think Ivan has been through all of this recently for Android?

Going back to the start of thread (since it seems to have gone completely off
topic), I took a quick look at the documentation (radical concept eh).
The gnustep-make README document says (in the first introductory paragraph)
that it supports cross compilation.
The gnustep-make INSTALL document has a section on it and gives an example:

     ./configure --target=i386-mingw32
     make install

Now, I've never done any cross compilation, and probably most other people
don't do it eiother, so I don't know if cross compilation support has
bit-rotted, support for cross-compiling for a particular target is certainly
there, ad this (the --target= option) appears to be the standard mechanism (a
web search for cross compiling and autoconf finds it immediately).

I guess the answer (howto do it) is that you configure for the target OS/CPU
you want, then just build as normal.  The INSTALL documentation also explains
about using a non-flattened layout if you want to have multple architectures in
the same filesystrem hierarchy etc.

Of course, if there are any bit-rotted makefiles, we should correct them and
make a bugfix release of the affected package.