Re: char vs. unsigned char

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: char vs. unsigned char
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 15:00:37 +0100

Hi,

thanks guys.

Stefan Bidigaray wrote:
As was already mentioned, I think it should be thought as:
char = characters
Unsigned char = unsigned integer less 256 or data
Signed char = signed integer between -128 to 127
That's about what I thought. Signed char is essentially useless, if not for representing small integers.

But for Data, signedness shouldn't matter, right? it is meaningless. So I could have everything as char * and "cast" when appropriately needed (like the example Wolfgang found, where a char is effectively interpreted as a small number). Or keep everything as unsigned char and cast to functions which do not need it.

I somehow like the former, because if for data a signedness is "don't care" I can leave it to the platforms, but you seem to suggest that specifying it always except for the functions defined not to need it is perhaps less error prone.

For sure the patch is not correct, I'll look at it again, thanks.

Riccardo