Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Proposal: Switch back to savannah using GIT
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 14:31:27 +0100

On 29 May 2015, at 13:18, Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Oh, and this doesn’t actually do what I do (and what is best practice to do)
>> to ensure a clean release tarball, which is tar up the result of svn export,
>> to ensure that the tarball exactly matches the contents of svn.  Instead, it
>> deletes some files, hoping that it gets everything.
>
> Actually this is FUD (untrue/mistaken); gnustep-make *does* do an svn export
> to produce a clean tar ball (as far as I know it always ... since we moved to
> svn ... has).

No, it is true.  I tested it before saying it, because I’d not used make dist
before.  I did a clean checkout, ran configure, modified a random file, and did
gmake dist.  The tarball I got contained my random modification.

And this completely misses the point of the rest of my email which is *as
someone who packages GNUstep and GNUstep-using apps*, being able to
automatically get a tarball for any revision is invaluable.  make dist does not
do this unless I want to check out that revision and construct (and host) the
tarball myself.

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine