Re: PCButton - tracking rect

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: PCButton - tracking rect
Date: Wed, 22 May 2019 13:34:36 +0300

Hi Riccardo,

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 9:53 AM Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Sergii,

Sergii Stoian wrote:
> I've wrote tooltips for ProjectCenter PCButton's implementation. After
> that someone has copied this implementation into NSView.
> I looked into ProjectCenter sources long time ago. I was convinced
> that PCButton's private tooltips implementation was replaced with
> NSView's.

I removed the custom ToolTip implementation in PCButton and removed the
custom stuff. Now, very little of PCButton remains, just some graphic
settings, essentially.

The good news is that it works as before.

Great.

The bad news is that there were certain bugs in the tooltips and they
remain :) This means.. that the NSView implementation has taken them
over 1 to 1.

That's it.

With windowmaker, some tooltips work, sometimes they don't show, the
behaviour is
- move pointer over button
- TT doesn't show

In my case, TT moves with mouse cursor (as it should).

- while it doesn't show, the WindowMaker icon gets grey (looses
Application Icon) and sometimes even jumps (focus lost?)

I didn't quite understand what you mean by "gets gray" - it becomes stippled/highlighted as when application starts, just tile remains without application icon or appicon completely disappears?

- slight mouse move over the same "target", ToolTip appears and
WindowMaker shows app icon again, everything fixed

I can't reproduce it. But my setup:
- based on gui/back 0.25.0
- use ART backend;
- parts of WindowMaker I've incorporated into NEXTSPACE's Workspace contains my fixes and enhancements (including focus handling area);
What is your setup? Could you try to reproduce this with ART backend?
If you use master branch of gui/back you should observe problems with text drawing (0.25.1 includes NSStringDrawing rewrite and broke ART in that area) but window management should be OK.
I'm afraid I need a couple of weeks to create alternate setup. I'm busy with preparing of NEXTSPACE 0.85 release now.

I remember discussing this a while back with Fred. Do you notice that
too? I'm testing with ProjectCenter, I will look for other apps that
have tooltips, but now PC should be really "standard".

If I remember correctly, we discussed appicon flickering here https://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui/pull/27.
Also I've changed my WM to not withdrawn/map appicon every time new windows appears in application.
Anyways it was fix to appicon flickering with Cairo backend. Flickering was not observed with ART before and after my changes.

Riccardo

--
Sergii Stoian,
ProjectCenter lead developer