Re: Embedded blocks...

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Embedded blocks...
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 03:45:43 +0100

> Am 31.10.2019 um 21:47 schrieb Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>:
>
> В Tue, 29 Oct 2019 12:50:23 +0000, David Chisnall написа:
>> On 27/10/2019 16:05, Gregory Casamento wrote:
>>> We are a GNU / FSF project.  Dropping support for GCC would be bad
>>> political mojo.   There is little we can do to bridge the gap other
>>> than doing these macros.
>>
>> I don't really understand how this works.  GCC does not support a
>> post-2005 dialect of Objective-C.  GNUstep is a framework that aims to
>> provide an implementation of the 2019 Objective-C standard library.  Why
>> is it politically problematic for GNUstep to drop support for GCC, but
>> not problematic for GCC to drop support for GNUstep?
>
> But GCC didn't drop support for GNUstep.  It just cannot cope with the
> changes of the language/runtime that are completely under the control
> of a single corporation.

This is FUD! LLVM is not under control by a single cooperation, it never was.
Instead it is „under control“ of the LLVM Foundation,

https://llvm.org/foundation/

which is: „a 501(c)(3) nonprofit whose mission is to support education and
advancement of the field of compilers and tools through educational events,
grants and scholarships, and increasing diversity with the field of compilers,
tools, and the LLVM project. We have established 3 main programs: Educational
Outreach, Grants & Scholarships, and Women in Compilers & Tools.
The Educational Outreach program is our largest program and includes
educational materials and events related to the LLVM Project, compiler
technology, and tools. Our 2 largest events are the LLVM Developers’ meetings
located in the San Francisco Bay Area, and in Europe. These meetings serve as a
forum for LLVM project developers, users, and academic researchers to get
acquainted, learn how LLVM is used, and exchange ideas about LLVM and compiler
technology. This program also includes educational materials such as
instructional videos and full video recordings from our developer meetings that
are available free to anyone.

The LLVM project is becoming one of the top platforms of choice for compiler
research at universities. The Grants & Scholarships program is designed to
support student presenter travel to the LLVM Developers’ Meetings and other
conferences that students may attend and present their LLVM and compiler
related work.

Lastly, our Women in Compilers & Tools program aims to increase female
participation in the LLVM Project and the field of compilers and tools. We hope
to achieve this by increasing awareness of the LLVM project at various
technical conferences with strong female participation, established a mentor
program, and lower barriers of entry for this field.“

cheers,

        Lars