Re: Embedded blocks...

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Embedded blocks...
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 04:11:45 +0100

Am 31.10.2019 um 21:47 schrieb Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>:

For what it's worth, I've spoken to a couple of GCC devs over the
last few years about supporting modern Objective-C (because I would
like us to have a choice of compilers), but the effort involved for
them is huge (even a naive ARC implementation is a big piece of
effort) and the return is small (why would anyone use it?

You are right that it's a monumental effort and that they probably
don't have the motivation.  The pool of free software written in
Objective-C is rather small and it doesn't tend to increase.

More FUD!

Are you aware of https://github.com/topics/objective-c ?

Or https://github.com/trending?l=objective-c

Well, that might not be software ready for GNUstep, but it is Open Source Software written in ObjC.

Regarding GCC and ObjC: Some years ago I was regularly doing regression testing for GCC with a special focus on ObjC. I supported several regressions then:

https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?cf_known_to_fail_type=allwords&cf_known_to_work_type=allwords&email1=lars.sonchocky-helldorf%40hamburg.de&emaillongdesc1=1&emailreporter1=1&emailtype1=substring&f1=reporter&list_id=248707&o1=equals&query_format=advanced

you are free to read the comments on those bugs. I only remember specific hostility towards ObjC on the part of GCC developers: bugs where closed as won’t fix or have been postponed over and over again as „being not release critically“, even regressions. My impression was that ObjC is simply not taken seriously by GCC developers. Instead, such marvels as D are praised on the homepage of GCC: https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-9/changes.html#d (linked prominently from https://gcc.gnu.org ). For that reason I was very happy when LLVM/Clang finally appeared on the stage.

regards,

Lars