gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] Release candidate

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Release candidate
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 13:33:27 +0100

 Get it in there and get some feedback :-) that's my opinion.

 OpenMP is alredy mentioned on the gfortran pages, so I think were already made
a bit of a stir.

 I disagree slightly about the libs and their design, ( based on looking at
intels openMP compiler which handles threads a bit different in order to get
higher performance on the numa parts, and my wishes to be able to run on MPI or
something similar, there are a lot of clusters showing up nowadays and I think
we need so supprot them ). ( Ok another shameless plug for my humble opinions
:-) ).

 I'm doing some stuff in gfortran which indirectly relates to openMP in that
it's parser and backend related, and have been doing some small tests on the
fortran frontend and it's handling of comments in order to see if the interface
I have grafted onto gfortran also can be used for the openmp directives, so far
it looks ok, I have a couple of show stoppers :-) .. ( nothing bad but ! ).

 The approach I have is to hack a generic plugin for directives in comments,
and then all our code would be selfcontained, this is fairly easy to do with
the fortran parser so I hope it will pay off.
 ( Getting the generic interface accepted into gfortran and then we can hack on
on our own ).

 I think we shall keep as many options open as possible while remembering the
words of Linux Thorvalds, never overdesign, get something running first, it's
more important. If we need changes later we can just rip it apart and stick it
together again.

 / Lars Segerlund.