gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Another release seems called for

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Another release seems called for
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:32:38 -0700

Yo Fulup!

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:22:47 +0200
Fulup Le Foll <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you plug/unplug an active USB device on Linux. Usually the device
> change name and move for example from ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB1.

Depends on how long.  For me if I wait more than about 30 seconds I'll
get ttyUSB0 again.  I depend on that behavior.

> I commented this Linux feature long time ago on
> http://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/gpsd-users/2009-June/003785.html
>
> Might also be useful to highlight that by default last versions of
> Ubuntu does not grant "dialout" group to basic users, when acces to
> /dev/tty* require access to "dialout" group.

Ouch.  So ubuntu is 'dialout' and not the conventional 'uucp' group?

I'd like to add a configure option to allow forcing the group
gpsd uses after dropping priviledges, then I could completely sidestep
udev which is non-portable.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588