gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Beat Bolli
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:47:34 +0200

On 22.10.13 19:38, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Yo Eric!
>
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:08:05 -0400

>>> The tools we are talking about are for snooping on other peoples
>>> chimers.  I would think that is out of scope for this document which
>>> whould be focused on how a user makes his own server a goo Stratum
>>> 1.
>>
>> You told me that for cross-checking purposes one needs to have at
>> least two chimers other than the local GPS configured.  I believe
>> that, it makes logical sense.
>
> Good, but now I am leaning toward the ntp.pool.org recommendation of
> 4.
>
> They add them to the ntp.conf file this way:
>
> server 0.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.pool.ntp.org
> server 3.pool.ntp.org

I'd never use servers from the generic "pool" domain. They return IP
addresses from all over the world. The pool system is organized by
continent and country, so at least use

server 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
server 1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
server 2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
server 3.north-america.pool.ntp.org

or even

server 0.us.pool.ntp.org
server 1.us.pool.ntp.org
server 2.us.pool.ntp.org
server 3.us.pool.ntp.org

I personally use my ISP's NTP server, four pool servers in my own
country, and three pool servers from neighboring countries. This may be
overkill, but NTP is smart enough to weed out bad servers.

Beat
--
mail: echo '<address@hidden>' | tr -d '[A-S]'
pgp: 0x506A903A; 49D5 794A EA77 F907 764F  D89E 304B 93CF 506A 903A

"It takes love over gold, and mind over matter" -- Dire Straits