gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:08:05 -0400

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> > Would you please expand this into a brief discussion of NTP
> > diagnostic tools for the HOWTO?
>
> The tools we are talking about are for snooping on other peoples
> chimers.  I would think that is out of scope for this document which
> whould be focused on how a user makes his own server a goo Stratum 1.

You told me that for cross-checking purposes one needs to have at least
two chimers other than the local GPS configured.  I believe that, it
makes logical sense.

It seems to me that means someone trying to set up a Stratum 1 has
all the verification issues that anyone setting up an ordinary client
does.  So some guidance to chimer auditing tools seems required.

More generally, during the knowledge-capture phase of editing a
document like this I'm a bit philosophically allergic to
out-of-scopeness worries. Better to capture too much knowledge and
then edit for brevity than to err in the opposite direction.

I listed you as primary author because a plurality share of the
content came out of your head.  But I'm the editor; leave the scope
and structure worries to me, I'll deal with them.  Once the content
is in good shape I'll do a trimming and polishing pass that may
cut some stuff.

(Harlan, you're getting a pretty good look at how I'd operate if I
actually took on fixing the ntpd docs...)