gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:52:54 -0700

Yo Eric!

On Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:08:09 -0400
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Miroslav Lichvar <address@hidden>:
> > I'm just suggesting to remove "(what the inventor of NTP whimsically
> > calls a "falseticker")" from that text. A falseticker is a source
> > that doesn't agree with other sources, large jitter doesn't imply
> > that.
> >
> > The last sentence in the paragraph should possibly be removed too.
> > I don't think there is a fudge option to compensate for an asymmetry
> > in the network delay. Large symmetric delays are not a problem.
>
> Done.

Reading the new text that seems a fair compromise.  OTOH, you say
'two reasons' then mention three.

I've been digging in RFC 1305 for the nitty gritty and while it mentions
delay, jitter and wander as error sources it explicity avoids descibing
the procedure for declaring a falsechimer.  If it scared the RFC editors
off we should also avoid it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588