gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fwd: Re: Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fwd: Re: Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 23:30:00 +0000

Beat Bolli writes:

> I got this private mail from Ask Bj=C3=B8rn Hansen of NTP Pool fame
> where he implies that the pool DNS servers use some IP-based
> geolocation jiggery-pokery that should return geographically close
> pool server addresses even if one queries the generic pool domain.
>
> So maybe these sections of the HOWTO can be reverted to use the
> top-level pool domain?

I'd recommend against being "too smart" and offering potentially
conflicting information.

If vendor Foo has foo.pool.ntp.org and recommends that its worldwide
customer base use that name to resolve time servers, I suspect these new
docs should honor this.  The pool framework should (if it doesn't
already) be able to geolocate this situation too.

But I have not chatted with Ask about this.

Lots of the various pieces of this puzzle evolve.