gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV protocol incompatibility?

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] SiRF IV protocol incompatibility?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 16:13:56 -0800

address@hidden said:
> Well, that sucks.  Can anyone confirm that SiRFv4 binary protocol is
> incompatible with v2 and v3?  Has anyone got a SirfStar IV device to test
> with? If this is a real problem it's a pre-3.10 issue.

I just poked around the web a bit.

I found a GlobalSat download page with all the S4 drivers and a slot for the
data sheet that didn't go anywhere.  GlobalSat units with S4 chips come in
USB and 2 serial version.  I couldn't find a serial version with a PPS on the
pinout.  (A PPS wire was available on the older SiRF-III serial versions.)

A year ago (well, July 2012) there are not-good comments from Gary.
  Subject: BR-353-S4
  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.hardware.gps.gpsd.user/5556
  Date: 2012-07-03 07:14:31 GMT
  The short review: DO NOT EVER BUY ONE!