gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd on debian

From: tz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd on debian
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:54:22 -0800

http://gpsd.berlios.de/troubleshooting.html

Get a root shell, then do "dpkg-reconfigure gpsd", and follow the prompts.  I had to do something similar on the Raspi

Troubleshooting Start at Boot

If gpsd launches at boot, you should be able to start it up or shut it down with one of the many utilities that manipulate system-V like startup environments, e.g. service(8). service gpsd start, etc. works on some Linuxes. sysv-rc-conf(8) is a handy curses utility for the job. Watch the output.

You can also look at your boot messages with dmesg(1).

Ubuntu/Debian

The .deb package supplied for the Debian and Ubuntu Linux distributions launch at boot from the system V-like script /etc/init.d/gpsd. However, it is governed by a control file, /etc/default/gpsd. If necessary, edit the control file by running dpkg-reconfigure gpsd as root.

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo tz!

On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 09:58:44 -0500
tz <address@hidden> wrote:

> What brand of gps (or more important serial device)?  Lsusb?

GR-601W, a PL2303 serial part.

> Dpkg-reconfigure gpsd might help.

How?  I am new to debian.

>  If it is an FTDI generic serial
> port, it is NOT associated with gpsd via udev by default, but you can
> enable it.

And how would I enable a PL2303?

> On Dec 13, 2013 11:25 PM, "Gary E. Miller"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Yo All!
> >
> > I just got an odroid-u2, a core 4-core ARM board that kicks the
> > raspi under the carpet:
> >
> > http://hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G135341370451
> >
> > I popped on Debian Wheezy and it works great.
> >
> > I can now confirm that the debian gpsd package by default does not
> > work with
> > USB GPS.
> >
> > The package starts gpsd this way:
> >
> >     gpsd -F /var/run/gpsd.sock -P /var/run/gpsd.pid
> >
> > But it never sees the USB GPS.
> >
> > If I do the obvious, then things work fine:
> >         killall gpsd
> >         gpsd -n /dev/ttyUSB0
> >
> > I'm not familiar with how the gpsd control socket thing works.  Can
> > someone give me a clue how to debug this thing?
> >
> > BTW, I can sorta see why debian puts the gpsd clients in a separate
> > package as they puul in a ton of dependencies, but cgps does not
> > need many dependencies, so I think debian should include that in
> > the bas package.
> >
> > RGDS
> > GARY
> > Gary E. Miller Rellim 109 NW Wilmington Ave., Suite E, Bend, OR
> > 97701 address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588