gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Refactor the way NTP shared memory segments are addressed

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Refactor the way NTP shared memory segments are addressed.
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 08:00:12 +0000

"Gary E. Miller" writes:
> Yo Michael!
>
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 10:44:14 +0400
> Michael Tatarinov <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > It's already in stable (4.2.8p1-beta3)
>
> A beta3 is stable?  Weird...

It was the beta for the pending 4.2.8p1 release.

> > and new behavior is documented.
>
> Where?

html/drivers/driver28.html

> > Now all shm segments must be perms 600.
>
> The bug implied this was selectable in the ntp.conf?

"This driver receives its reference clock info from a shared
memory-segment. The shared memory-segment is created with owner-only
access by default, unless otherwise requested by the mode word for units
>= 2. Units 0 and 1 are always created with owner-only access for
backward compatibility."

The owner-only access segments are 0600, while the public access
segments are 0666.

> Any guidance as to which user?

Whatever you can tell ntpd and gpsd to run as.

> That means that gpsd and ntpd must run as the same user?  Many will not
> like that.

Then run with a "unit" >=2 and use a public segment.  That will present
other problems.  I can see somebody deciding that 0660 is a good choice
at some time.

As an aside, we do have driver46.html now, which uses a JSON socket to
handle the communications between ntpd and gpsd.