gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ntp reference clocks

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ntp reference clocks
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:25:52 -0700

Yo Sanjeev!

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 00:03:55 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden> wrote:

> While re-reading and updating documentation for gpsd, I came across a
> reference at:
> http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver46.html
> to a refclock, type 46, which uses the GPSD NG (post 2.90 JSON)
> protocol.
>
> It seems to me that this is not yet released code, it does not exist
> in 4.2.6.

I saw it as a patch for 4.2.8p1,  dunnot if it is in the development
tree yet.

Juergen Perlinger <address@hidden> has been working on
it.

> Does anyone know if this works?

Pretty much works.  A few things still need to be done, like gpsd needs
to pass the precision in JSON to ntpd.

> This could cut down a lot of
> complexity in setting up gpsd with PPS.

Sadly no.  It takes as many config lines in ntp.conf as doing it as a
SHM, and provides no extra benefits.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588