gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Modifying (severly) hardware.html

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Modifying (severly) hardware.html
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 10:29:03 -0400

Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden>:
> Folks,
>
> The current: http://www.catb.org/gpsd/hardware.html is good, if you have a
> model in mind.  Not so good if you are asking "What should I buy that is
> supported?"
>
> I have added sorting, which I think helps quickly see "What has excellent
> support?"
>
> Please see a WIP at: http://bit.ly/1H06FQr

It doesn't look to me like you have *added* sorting so much as you have entirely
replaced one view with another.  Wile I understand the motivation, I can't agree
with this change; it replaces a view inadequate for N-1 purposes with a view
inadequate for a different N-1 different purposes.

Seems to me the right thing to so would be to replace the static view with a
form-driven CGI that gives the viewer choices:

Sort by {vendor/model | quality | ?}

Show models with interfaces of checked type: USB, RS-232, Bluetooth, etc.

Show obsolete models? [Y/N]

This shouldn't actually be difficult to do. Change gpscap.py to compile the
database to a Python pickle, then have the CGI read it in and generate a
report based on current settings.

> Is this worth pursuing?
>
> It uses a library, licenced under MIT/X11, header below.  Please confirm if
> this is redistributable.

It is.