gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Regression test failed on fortrex-201.log.chk

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Regression test failed on fortrex-201.log.chk
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 05:15:52 -0400

address@hidden <address@hidden>:
> The line 154 is truncated in the check file and in the log file.

I just fixed that.

> 1.) Why does the truncated line pass the nmea0183 parser.

Because there's no check in the parser for the total number of sat records -
and probably cannot be, it varies too much across receivers.

> 2.) Why do you think, that the patch is not nessary, u-blox m8 receiver, i
> use a navilock NL-8222MP do not report satellite positions without.

Probably because the M8 switches to ublox binary mode.

> 3.) Is it more important to support this broken checkfile then the output of
> devices claiming to comform to nmea0183 version 4.1?

No.  We should have a short-line test, but one isolated from the tests of
well-formed output on any particular device.