gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC: GPSd on Android as a system service

From: A.S.
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RFC: GPSd on Android as a system service
Date: Tue, 7 May 2019 08:48:37 -0400

Hi Gary, I'm going to try this one more time with you, with some visual assistance;

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

In picture 1, you can see 2 SV's in the list, both with invalid elevation and azimuth, but both with GOOD SIGNAL.
Note the status; no time, and no fix for 75 seconds. Also make note of the PRN numbers, GPS with 22, and Glonass with 255.
** I know that the hardware is working, because its picking up good signals, and the signals are strong, which means that there should be no issue getting a lock with a little bit of patience.

In picture 2, time has advanced to 84 seconds. A third SV has appeared, GPS with PRN 26, also with invalid elevation and azimuth, but with GOOD SIGNAL. Time has arrived.

In picture 3, time has advanced to 101 seconds. A fourth SV has appeared, GPS with PRN 31, also with invalid elevation and azimuth, but with GOOD SIGNAL.
** I know that the lock is very close now, because 3 SV's in the same constellation is adequate for a 2D fix. Note the time, 12:11:35.

In picture 4, there is now a lock. The SV's have not yet updated. Note that I wiped out the finer aspects of the coordinates to keep my physical location private. Note the time, 12:12:18, which is 43 seconds after picture 3, so TTFF is 144 seconds.
** Do you think I want to sit there for over 2 minutes without any kind of feedback?
** Note the three SV's that are flagged as "used". They are GPS with PRN of 22, 26, and 31. The same three that added in the first 3 pictures with invalid elevation and azimuth, but good signals.

Those PRN and SNR values are absolutely important information to have, because they provide feedback that the lock is attainable and progressing.

This commit is *wrong* and should be reverted;

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 8:23 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo Adam!

On Mon, 06 May 2019 20:15:56 -0400
Adam Serbinski <address@hidden> wrote:

> Gary, listen... I respect and thank you for all of what you've done
> to make gpsd amazing, but you can't be right all of the time. In this
> instance, I know that you are breaking gpsd and your justifications
> are really insufficient and I'm obviously not getting the point
> across. Could you please get this change reviewed by someone else,
> like maybe Eric?

We will have to agree to disgree.  Feel free to convince Eric and
others.  So far, no support for your view point.  It is open source,
feel free to create your own private patches.  Better yet, I hope
you spend half the time you've already spent on this to get u-bloc
to document this UNKNOWN behavior.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588