gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Warnings from 32 bit FreeBSD

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Warnings from 32 bit FreeBSD
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 10:50:55 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 20:51:43 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 23:20:23 -0700
> > Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> plus lots of
> >> gpsd_json.c:150:11: warning: implicitly declaring library function
> >> 'strlcpy' with type 'unsigned int (char *, const char *, unsigned
> >> int)' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration] and friends
> >
> > I found the FreeBSD string.h here:
> >
> > https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/include/string.h
> >
> > That shows __BSD_VISIBLE needs to be defined.  Of course not in the
> > man page.
> >
> > Can you try that before I make a bunch of changes to define that?
>
> It's not in the man page because it's controlled by *other* includes,
> based on *other* config flags.  The general rule is that all
> double-underscore-prefixed flags are for the includes' internal use
> and should not be directly set by user code.

So do I need to be telepathic?  Or what?

If anyone has the incantation to set __BSD_VISIBLE, _BSD_SOURCE, or
__DARWIN_C_LEVEL a better way, then please speak up.

It does look like _POSIX_C_SOURCE can be used to set __DARWIN_C_LEVEL,
so maybe *BSD is similar?

Once we get all the warnings fixed with the magic defines, I'll circle
back to try to avoid the double underscore.

> I'd already spent considerable time investigating this (leveraging
> the fact that I have three BSDs, three Linuces, and 9 OSXes to test
> against), but it looks like it's become too much of a moving target
> to continue.

The target is not moving, but the gpsd code is.  With Hal's help I think
we almost have this fixed.  These defines have been a mess, I'm trying
to move all the various and slightly different versions into one version
in SConstruct.  Almost there.

Right now osX, Linux and FreeBSD are good.  NetBSD has a few more nits to
fix.

Please consider testing when Hal and I think we are good.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588