gpsd-dev

Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: would it be time to replace scons with meson build system?
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2020 00:09:35 +0100

On 2/5/20 11:55 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>:
>> Imho the only useful alternative is cmake. Or meson, if you really think so.
>
> Both two-phase systems.  Why do people keep building these things?
> It's a bad idea that never gets better noo matter how often it's
> repeated.

You are wrong. Really. Just plain wrong. Using well known tools that are
known to be able to build complex systems (and I'm not talking about the
code you are writing, way too tiny) saves so many hours of work as
people know how to use them.
Also every build system will have to implement the same functions as
make has proven to have since years, there is absolutely no issue in
generating code automatically. People even generate real program code
because it is easier and safe to generate it automatically. Nothing
wrong here.

And it absolutely doesn't matter if a program does wrong things or it
produces wrong code that instructs make to do wrong things, the result
is the same. One could even wrap autotools, libtool and make into a
single binary, it would be broken as before, but you would never see the
Makefile. It really doesn't make a difference.