gpsd-dev

Re: gpsmon segmentation fault

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsmon segmentation fault
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 11:16:02 -0700

Yo SZIGETVÁRI!

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 13:22:12 +0200
SZIGETVÁRI János <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am using gpsd and gpsmon version 3.20 (compiled from source) on my
> Raspberry PI 2, that's running Slackware-ARM current (Sarpi2).

AFAIK, there is no one working on gpsmon.  Not for some time.

Do cgps and xgps work for you?

> Previously I was using gpsd version 3.17 on a Raspberry PI 1, on
> Slackware ARM 14.2, and there everything worked fine.

Are you 100% sure you totally removed all remnants of the previous
gpsd?

> Now I moved my config and GPS device over to the RPi2 and for some
> reason gpsmon crashes soon after being started.

I assume you recompiled on the RPi2?  They are not binary compatible.

> I tried to go back to gpsd-3.17, and other versions in between, but
> all of them seem to produce the crash.

Which makes it improtant to ensure you are removing all gpsd before
trying another gpsd.

> So as far as I could determine, everything works fine gpsd-wise, but
> when I start gpsmon, it always crashes, and this is all the output it
> produces:

Be sure your libgps.so is the right one for your gpsmon.  You can not
mix and match versions.

> If I do a strace on gpsmon, I get this:

What will show the problem is a gdb back trace.

> (Part of the startup related output omitted.)

Sad, the startup is the most interesting part to me.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588