gpsd-dev

Re: Running regression tests on Ubuntu 14.04

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: Running regression tests on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 19:32:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020, Gary E. Miller wrote:

Yo Gregory!

Patch applied to git head.  Please test.

Well, that did not last long.  gpsfake does not work out of tree.

With, or without your patch.

New bug:

https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/issues/66

Did you run build-all before that? I've noticed recently that some dependencies may be missing, so trying to run the regression tests directly may not build what it needs automatically.

As far as the original bug goes, it works fine here on Ubuntu 14.04 with Python 2.7.6, with or without the apparently pointless new patch, so the Python version isn't the issue. A useful thing to do after the necessary builds is:

        strace -e trace=open python -m gps.packet

When I was fixing previous trouble in this area, I noticed that it would prefer the old packet.so file if it was present, so I added code to remove it. But looking at the trace, it seems that there are actually three things it looks for before finally looking for the right thing:

open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packet.x86_64-linux-gnu.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No
such file or directory)
open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packet.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
directory)
open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packetmodule.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file
or directory)
open("/home/fw/gpsd/gps/packet.py", O_RDONLY) = 3

So perhaps one of those is there. Otherwise, it should be possible from the trace to figure out exactly what it's looking for.

Fred Wright