gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 15:18:22 -0700

In previous emails, Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:
> Also works on macOS:
>
>     Python 2.7.16 (default, Apr 17 2020, 18:29:03)
>     [GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 11.0.3 (clang-1103.0.29.20)
> (-macos10.15-objc- on darwin
>     Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>     >>> import ctypes.util
>     >>> ctypes.util.find_library("gpsdpacket")
>     'libgpsdpacket.dylib'

That is setup up by packet.py.in lines 48-50 & 61-66 with Cthulu code
instead of hardcoded magic values.

> Is there a good reason for gps/packet.py to work so hard?

Aside from Python not working hard enough?

> Seems to me that the program should look for the lib:

>         1) in GPSD_HOME
>         2) in current directory
>         3) using ctypes.util.find_library()

Seems to fail when installed in /usr/local (see previous crotch punching).
would probably fail if running from ${repo}/tests/daemon or other
ridiculousness.

> And, instead of looking for the exact lib version, just check the major
> version after loading it.

Currently, checks for the exact version when running from the repo and
no version checking for distro installs.

> Does that sound right?

My compass is broken and I do not feel like implementing it like that.