gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:48:20 -0700

Yo Bernd!

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 13:04:20 +0200
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 7/28/20 1:01 PM, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> > With all the @FOO@ magic in the python stuff already, can't we just
> > write the libdir into the python file to search in after checking
> > for GPSD_HOME?
>
> To quote
> https://docs.python.org/2.5/lib/ctypes-finding-shared-libraries.html
>
> If wrapping a shared library with ctypes, it may be better to
> determine the shared library name at development type, and hardcode
> that into the wrapper module

Which is what is currently done.

> instead of using find_library to locate
> the library at runtime.

But the library still needs to be found.

After working with this for a day, the Python doc does not describe
what the library functions actually do.  And they behave differently on
Linux and macOS.  I am adding code comments on the grotty details.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588