gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 22:21:34 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 21:14:27 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Jul 2020, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > Changes to gps/packect.pu.in pushed.  It now works for me on Linux
> > and macOS.  Both uninstalled in the build directory, and out of
> > the build directory after insstall.
> >
> > The new code looks in the current directory (so it works w/o
> > install), then in GPSD_HOME, and then in the "standard" library
> > locations as defined by the local dlopen() function from libc.
> >
> > dlopen() does what you expext, looking in LD_LIBRARY_PATH, /lib,
> > etc.
> >
> > Please test, this would have been annoying if it had shipped in
> > 3.21.
>
> It makes more sense to install this library in the Python package
> directory, with the other modules.

Is there a problem that this fixes?

The problem with this change is the python package directory is
versioned by python version.  We don't want to install the same thing 7
places.

Part of the reason to do this is  to have one version that cares not
about python version.

Also, when installing a daemon only gpsd, there is no versioned
python directory yto install it in.

> And it's a whole lot
> easier to find when it's "beside" packet.py.

Is finding it a problem?  Seems to work fine now.

> I tested a fix that does this, and pushed it to a test branch
> (pylib-fixes).  Feel free to test further.

I'll look at it, but I'm not excited about it.

> There is an oddity which is just aethetic AFAIK.  Its own internal
> copy of its path is still based on the usual install location,

How do I see that?  I would like to be able to see that so the Pure Python
can confirm libgpsdpacket is the matching version.

> and I
> haven't figured out how to convince SharedLibrary not to do that.
> But since nothing actually links against this library, it shouldn't
> matter.

Right, why do we care?

RGDS
GARY