gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:54:56 -0700

Yo Bernd!

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 13:01:57 +0200
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 7/27/20 11:36 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> >         3) using ctypes.util.find_library()
>
> as discussed before that won't work in general as it will use the
> compiler way to find libraries

Nope.  It uses the OS specific dlopen() from libc.  The macOS dlopen()
and the Linux dlopen() act very differently.

> - and packaged versions of gpsd will
> not ship libgpsdpacket.so.27, you'll only have
> libgpsdpacket.so.27.0.0.

Which is what is currently hard coded by SConstruct into gps/packet.py.

> With all the @FOO@ magic in the python stuff already, can't we just
> write the libdir into the python file to search in after checking for
> GPSD_HOME?

Nope.  Several reasons.  Some distros, like Gentoo, move libs around
after install.  Current behavior, for testing, is to use the local
copy so you can run "scons check" before installing.  Breaking that
would be a huge back-compatibility failure as well as not behaving
as normal Python does.

The code needs to obey the "normal" rules for finding libraries.

How about folks hold off comments for another day.  I have changed the
code in my private branch, and added commnts on what it does and many of
the gotchas.

Once that is pushed, go ahead and double check.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588