gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Can't find packet library")
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2020 16:01:27 -0700

Yo Bernd!

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 21:52:34 +0200
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 7/29/20 1:11 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> distribution does something else than using DESTDIR= to install
> >> things to a different directory to package them, things will be
> >> broken in way too many things.
> >
> > Apples and Oranges.  I was talking about "after install", your are
> > talking about "at install".  And remember, Gentoo does not usually
> > "package" at all.  Somehow Gentoo seems to work better than other
> > distros, so maybe somethings for you to learn from it.
>
> LOOOOOOL.
>
> Moving things after install: even worse.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  Works for me.

> >> Actually I do not know a single distribution that moves files
> >> around after install. I don't know Gentoo, though.
> >
> > And today you learned that Gentoo and Arch can.  Gentoo can, at
> > runtime, move packages between, for example, /lib, /lib32 and
> > /lib64, depending on user preferences.  This allows users to
> > upgrade seamlessly, at their own rate, from older to newer FHS
> > standard locations.  Another way that Gentoo avoids the problems
> > "packaged" distros have with version upgrades.
>
> You can do that in every distribution if you want to. Even in Debian.

Good, then we agree moving things around after install is OK?

> Thats how ld.so works.
> But its also part of the FHS to have libraries that are only used by
> the tools from one source in /usr/lib/NAME.

Unclear if your precondition matches the use case for libgpsdpacket.so.
I see many potential uses for it.

> As this is not part of
> the ld.so search path, you'd need to add an appropriate rpath to
> those few programs anyway, so there is also no reason not to hardcode
> the location.

No reason?  Was I not clear that on Gentoo you do not know the
location at build/install time?  The whole point of dlopen() in
libc is to handle moving libs around, without touching rpath, etc.

Why avoid the way shared libs have worked for decades?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588