gpsd-dev

Re: ntrip messages in gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ntrip messages in gpsd
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 11:37:47 -0800

Yo Rafa!

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 20:06:45 +0100
Rafa Chao <rafa.chao@gmail.com> wrote:

> I´ve been in touch with “gemiller”, a user of the #gpsd chat.

That woud be me.  I would ask you not to misquote me.  I can put my
foot in my own mouth.

> We are based in Spain, and we are manufacturing autonomous robots.
> We decided to use gpsd to manage our RTK gps, thinking that gaps
> managed ntrip messages.

It does, as much as we can figure out given the closed documentation on
NTRIP/

> Gemllier told me that ntrip is a very complex thing, and that gpsd
> didn’t manage it.

Uh, no.  I said it has feature, that we can find no douentation on, that
are thus not implemented.  For most users it "aanages" NTRIP fine.

> Gemiller said that with the necessary documentation
> of the Spanish ntrip base station association, gpsd could try to
> implement it in the source code.

Yes.

> I contacted the Spanish ntrip association
> (https://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal
> <https://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal>) and they provide me with the

Not useful.  Nothing about the protocol.

Not useful

> Type of RTCM:
> RTCM3

That matters not to gpsd, gpsd just passes it on to the receiver.

> Messages covered: 1004, 1006, 1008, 1012, 1019, 1020, 1030, 1031,
> 1032, 1033

That matters not to gpsd, gpsd just passes it on to the receiver.

> Message structure: The message structure complies with what it
> indicated in
>
> https://www.use-snip.com/kb/knowledge-base/rtcm-3-message-list/
> <https://www.use-snip.com/kb/knowledge-base/rtcm-3-message-list/>

More an enumeration, or listing, nothing describing the contents of
those messages.  Which does not matter as gpsd just passes them on to
the receiver.

> I attach as well a 5 minute stream of the VRS3 mountpoint for testing

I can look at it, but testing RTCM3 requires real-time.

> We can be in contact if you can do this !!!!!!

Uh, do what?  No problem definition so far.  You have just listed that
parts of NTRIP that gpsd implelemnts.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588