gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd systemd troubleshooting: Draft

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd systemd troubleshooting: Draft
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 19:07:09 -0600

On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 16:02:41 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> The order of the new material is loopy.  First it talks about the
> config files that systemd(ung) uses, then talks about installing gpsd
> with apt, which would install the files that the first part expected
> to be present.

The order of the material is 1) introduction, which is the more general
stuff; and 2) a specific example. That is, from the general to the
specific, which is how documentation usually proceeds.

> And, no need to talk about the installation in the troubleshooting
> doc. The installation details go in the INSTALL file, just point to
> them.
>
> The doc also assumes a user has installed with "apt", which is not
> present on many systemd(ick) systems.  The troubleshooting needs to
> support whatever method, from the INSTALL file, that the system is
> in.  Possibly a mess of distro and self-installed gpsd.

OK. Something like, "assuming you have already installed gpsd and the
client xgps or cgps....". I do think I should call out which components
I expect to the reader to have handy early in the example.

Debian packaging is common enough in the Linux world that most users
can translate an "apt install" to their preferred package manager. But
no matter, we'll leave that to the reader.

I used a Debian example because that's what I had in front of me. I
could instead write up installing on a Debian box from the git repo,
but will have to actually do that first. That may take a few days.

> The doc assumes the user is usuing a hot-pluggable GNSS receiver.  The
> majority case case of users with problems is Raspberry Pi users that
> do not have hot-pluggable receivers.

Ah, now that may be a problem. I found out that to get the changes to
the gpsd.socket file to take effect, it was not enough to run
"systemctl stop ... ; systemctl start ...". I had to unplug the
receiver. I found that annoying and filed it away for future
examination. As your discussion of the Raspberry Pi makes clear, I
should not have had to unplug it. This may be another systemd related
issue.

One workaround may be to kill gpsd between the "stop" and the "start".
I'll experiment with that.

If most of the issues are Raspberry Pi related, maybe the example
should be on one? Or is Debian close enough?

Any Raspberry Pi users care to chime in?

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/