gpsd-users

Re: NTP via tcp NMEA feed

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: NTP via tcp NMEA feed
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 14:16:02 -0700

Yo Nick!

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 22:01:11 +0100
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

> Yo Gary
>
> >> I was hoping that NMEA contained enough time info that the dest
> >> gpsd could still obtain time and broadcast on the shm segment as
> >> readable with ntpshmmon.
> > Which is eacatly what it does.
> Sorry to be a pain, but I'm still not quite clear... If you refer
> back to my original post I show the output from gpspipe which
> contains time, but ntpshmmon shows no output.

When gpsd is sstarted with -n, as root, it will output $GPRMC time to
ntpshmmon.  gpsd does not care where its NMEA comes from.

> If you are saying that gpsd fed via tcp NMEA stream should still be
> outputting to the shm then that doesn't seem to be working for me...

Send your -D 4 log again then.

> gpsd is picking up time and this is visible fine using cgps, but
> there's no shm feed visible using ntpshmmon

Which makes no sense.

> If this is expected behaviour then fine -

Once again, not expected, not fine.

> but if there should be ntp
> feed appearing in shm then that's not what I'm seeing...

The only NTP thing gpsd does is SHMs which you see in ntpshmmon.  If
you want NTP, use NTPsec or chronyd.

> Apologies if this has got a little confused...

The only reason to come to this list is to solve confusions.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588