gpsd-users

Re: Upgraded to Linux Kernel 6.3.0, GPS Responds with "Resource temporar

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Upgraded to Linux Kernel 6.3.0, GPS Responds with "Resource temporarily unavailablea(11)"
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2023 17:56:55 -0700

Yo anoduck!

On Tue, 18 Jul 2023 21:20:43 +0000
anoduck <anoduck@protonmail.com> wrote:

> Upgraded to Linux Kernel 6.3.0, and subsequently begin to receive GPS
> device errors. Troubleshooting tells that it is a driver error.

I run gpsd on just about every kernel as they come out.

> Has anyone else heard of or experienced this error?

Nope.

> How would I further troubleshoot or debug this error (besides that
> listed in the documentation of gpsd, obviously)? Where do I need to
> go to get support for the driver?

I see you attached the gpsddebuginfo, more on that below.

> <pre>
> # For gpsd output
> Jul 17 20:38:40 computer gpsd[431635]: gpsd:ERROR: SER: error
> changing port attributes: Resource temporarily unavailable(11) Jul 17
> 20:38:40 computer gpsd[431635]: gpsd:ERROR: Garmin:
> garmin_usb_detect: error changing port attributes: Resource
> temporarily unavailable

Maybe Garmin USB driver?  If so, time to update that GPS for a modern one.

> # For gpsmon output
> gpsmon:ERROR: SER: error changing port attributes: Resource
> temporarily unavailable(11) gpsmon:ERROR: Garmin: garmin_usb_detect:
> error changing port attributes: Resource temporarily unavailable`
> </pre>

gpsmon uses the same backend as gpsd, so of course you get the same
error.  gpsmon is meant for developers only, it is getting pretty ol
and unmainteined.

> The particular device is: [Garmin 010-00321-31 18x USB GPS Navigator
> Unit](https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-18x-USB-Navigator-Unit/dp/B0016O0G26/)
> I have attached the output of gpsdebuginfo to this email. Device
> permissions and everything else check out fine.

Ah.  Lead with that the next time.

I guess you missed these two at the top:

    + echo Please run as root
    Please run as root
    + echo Running under sudo confuses the results.
    Running under sudo confuses the results.

gpsd, gpsmon, gpsdenbnuginfo, are meant to be run as root.  RUnning under
sudo is not running as root.  But I don't see how that would create this
issue you have.

Also, gpsdebuginfo is meant to be run while gpsd is running:

    + gpspipe -w -n 2 -x 20
    gpspipe: could not connect to gpsd localhost:2947, can't connect to
host/port pair(-6)

The Garmin 18x is almost 20 years old.  Newer receivers are cheaper and
vastly better.  You have a museum piece.

The 18x is USB2.  And not normal USB2, it requires its own driver.  So
please confirm that the proper driver is attached to your /dev/ttyUSB0.

Many USB2 do not like USB3, so try to connect directly to a USB port, with
no hub or extenstion cord.

> Sent with [Proton Mail](https://proton.me/) secure email.

Not very secure now...

RGDS