Re: [Groff] fractional point sizes with -ms

From: Egil Kvaleberg
Subject: Re: [Groff] fractional point sizes with -ms
Date: 08 Jan 2004 08:24:36 +0100

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 17:41, Jon Snader wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 03:58:06PM -0000, Ted Harding wrote:
> >
> > 2. I'm less happy about PS>300 being unlikely.
> >    Nevertheless, it's a somewhat extreme combination of circumstances,
> >    and many users will probably never encounter it.
>
> Even if they did, all that's necessary is to set PS to 30000.  True
> you lose the transparency, but I doubt it will break any existing
> documents.

This is such an ugly hack, I urge you, please, please do not break our
beloved -ms this way.

Making assumption that point size < 300 and similar arbitrary
limitations is simply not the way to go. Through history, there are
myriads of examples where similar limits have bitten back. Badly.

But first and foremost, is it really bad style. "many users will
probably never encounter it" simply does not cut it.

For me, the main reason that I use *free* software is that I can live in
a world where things are done *right*. Please, please keep it that
way...

Egil

(I know, it is easy complaining without contributing. Hope to correct
that soon...)