Re: [Groff] groff html output, eqn and journals

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff html output, eqn and journals
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:58:12 +0100

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 12:43:59PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > Groff can produce decent HTML, but you have to work with it.
>
> You might try Eric's DocLifter for that.  Since it works on the
> high-level side (this is, parsing the input file and not the
> intermediate output) and can handle most of the standard macro
> packages, chances are good that the HTML output is better than groff's
> grohtml.
>
> > I remember ESR saying he was working on a patch to eqn that would
> > output MathML, but I have no clue whether there's any plug-ins or
> > converters to get MathML into Word either.
>
> MathML support has been added to eqn in the CVS.  It looks very nice
> and seems to be complete -- the necessary changes were suprisingly
> small!  Eric noted that the MathML structure is almost identical to
> the internal representation of formulae within eqn.  He thinks that
> this is more than a coincidence...
>
> Tests are highly welcome.

I'd like to do that (actually I'm in the final phase of a manuscript, where
I;ll soon face again the problem how to submit the equation stuff).

but for the dummies like me who are not using cvs regularly: the home page
states that one can download a development snapshot (i.e. bypassing direct
`cvs' use). I tried this but ended up with an empty tar archive (not
surprisingly,looking at the stated size in `.../groff/devel').
question: what am I doing wrong _this_ time?

thanks,

joerg