Re: groff: grops and grodvi crash on invalid input

From: G. Branden Robinson
Subject: Re: groff: grops and grodvi crash on invalid input
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 02:46:37 +1100

At 2020-11-23T00:10:15+1100, John Gardner wrote:
> IMHO, it would be more intuitive to make this
[a positioning command before the first 'p' command]
> a no-op, rather than an error (a warning at *most*). Users may wish to
> "prepostprocess" the formatted output to control page order, extract
> or inject existing pages from an earlier formatting run (etc)… things
> that elevate the risk of an errant motion command appearing before the
> first p command.

Fair point.  Yes.  I'd like to see a warning for it, but nothing more
drastic.

> Roff.js, being designed to accommodate a range of troff
> implementations and perform unattended document formatting, is
> deliberately tolerant of input it doesn't expect (to a fault: I
> actually need to make it a little stricter with error reporting...
> I'll get back to that in 2021 probably…)

Everybody's liberal in what they accept until the QAnon trolls and other
defectors from the social contract show up, then they remember that
norms are there for a reason.  ;-)

What do you think about a warning for drawing outside the page
boundaries?  N.B. I don't know how to actually implement such a thing
yet.

Thanks for the feedback!