Re: groff: grops and grodvi crash on invalid input

From: Dave Kemper
Subject: Re: groff: grops and grodvi crash on invalid input
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2020 10:29:34 -0600

(This no longer has anything to do with Debian bug #421437, so I took
it off the cc.)

On 11/22/20, John Gardner <gardnerjohng@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What do you think about a warning for drawing outside the page
>> boundaries?
>
> I can't see that benefiting anybody, quite frankly. Since all coordinates
> are precomputed, users are unlikely to see such a message in practice.

I don't follow the logic of your objection (I'm wholly ignorant of the
internals of postprocessors), but it's trivial to write minimal, legal
groff that prints off the edges of the page.  One simple example:

.nf
.ps 30
words words words words words words words words words words

This prints above the top of the page and past its right edge.
Currently nothing warns the user about this.